Patti Purls

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Monkey socks past, present and future!

How I love knitting these socks! On the left are the Trekking XXL that I entered in the county fair, on the needles are Fortissima Colori Disco Socka Color (With metallic silver flecks! Funky!) and patiently waiting above that is my latest acquisition Austermann Step "mit Aloe Vera und Jojoba Ol." One quick fondle of that in a yarn shop today and I was smitten. I chose a subdued color in shades of gray. Should be a lovely pair of Monkeys!

Another acquistion is this nifty Viking Safety Pin, more commonly called a "penanular brooch" that I bought from a viking metal smith in the Viking Village at the local Scandinavian Festival this year. This one is stainless steel and quite simple. Others are more ornate. It works really well on this sweater and I hope it will be even niftier on the Arwen. And, I really look forward to wearing it on this next show and tell piece:

Not my mother's Clapotis!

At last, my own Clapotis! It was only a matter of time and money, really. (Isn't everything?) I had wished to knit one for myself and wanted it to be slinky and a bit shimmery, as opposed to my mother's worsted wooly one. I got my wish when I met this Lang Oasis yarn at a shop in Snyder (Buffalo area). It has white, seafoam green and periwinkle flecks of color and is smooth and silky to the touch. It drapes nicely! It scrunches up for a scarf and spreads out for a stole. I love it. I cast on for it about two weeks ago. It accompanied me to various concert venues and helped me through a day-long workshop (not a knitting one!) I used about 8 and a half balls of it, between 800-900 yards, I think.

Back to this little blue sweater with the pin, for a moment. I showed it last summer but almost never wore it because of a problem I created. Originally it had a self made button which looked quite cool until I put it on. Then it would flop, drag down the buttonhole and draw lots of attention to the design flaw that it was. It offended me, so I cut it off and attached the new pin. Now it is my new favorite .
I love what the yarn overs and short row shaping look like in the shoulder. It is called "Bridemaid's Choice" from Interweave Knits Summer 2001 and was designed for mohair. I knitted it from this mop string type of summer yarn that is nicer to wear than it is to knit and trimmed it in a linen yarn. Yeah, I mixed unknown yarns, but how often should I need to wash a little cardi like this?
Looking back over this post, I really SHOULD have joined the knit blue blog.

Oh, yeah, and now I'm moving up on the Ravelry waiting list:
  • You signed up on July 8, 2007
  • You are #15138 on the list.
  • 5716 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 11407 people are behind you in line.
  • 34% of the list has been invite

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • I love your blog, your socks and your clapotis. I'm looking forward to getting together for spinning and knitting. I'll be reading your archives and seeing all the fun stuff you've been up to. Knit on!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home